CD-RW

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 1 13:09:33 UTC 2008

I bought a spindle of CD-RWs. I didn't mind that they are more expensive
than CD-Rs because I'll get to us them over and over. However, K3B is
giving me messages that since it is CD-RW I won't be able to play them
in my home or car stereo. And guess what? They are right - I can't. The
only home stereo I can play it in is my newset one (that bosts mp3
compatibility - not that I'm speaking only about mp3 - I'm also talking
about wav and ogg).

I have to burn a CD to send to RPM today and I want it to be able to
play in anything they throw it in. So, do I have to go out and buy CD-Rs
again (then what good is the spindle of CD-RWs I bought)? And I am
comparing apples and apples (the CD-Rs and CD-RWs are both Staples brand).

Or is W2K/Cubasis doing something to the file to make it not work on any
stereo (when I scp it to a linux box and burn it with K3B)?

I have to use W2K/Cubasis for now - tried (off and on) for five months
to get the emu1212m pci card initialized under linux with only partial
success.

Any suggestions. Just so we're clear: when I burn CD-Rs in K3B they play
in anything. When I create a wav from W2K/Cubasis, then copy it to
another (dual-boot ubuntu/W2K computer), then boot the dual-boot
computer to linux, scp the wav to the ubuntu computer with the CD
burner, then burn the wav (and also the wav converted to mp3 and ogg
using audio-convert) with K3B, the CD-RW will not play in my older home
stereo or my car stereo.

A long-term solution would be nice, but if you can suggest a short-term
(workaround) I would appreciate it. I need to get this CD in the mail today.

Thanks,

Chris

P.S. I wonder if K3B is being forced to play nice with the CPCC so that
artists are renumerated /everytime/ a song is burned (not just everytime
a CD-RW is purchased).