[Fwd: Openmoko Neo Freerunner Group Order]

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 28 02:04:17 UTC 2008

I will probably wait for some Android-y phone in a half-year or so from now.

Android, together with
- the commitment of Palm to a Linux-based platform
- the recent purchase of Symbian by Nokia (and the accompanying intent
to open source Symbian's OS)
- the defection of vendors such as HTC from Windows Mobile to Android

... seems to indicate that eventually almost every smartphone that isn't
made in Canada will be running Linux. In this environment, I hope the
OpenMoko platform won't get orphaned if Android and FOSSymbian become
popular. As someone who bought an early Zaurus I don't want to make the
same mistake twice.

I also note that the OpenMoko is tri-band rather than quad-band. That
will not affect coverage in North America, but it does impact its
ability to be a truly world phone. You have a choice of the 850 or 900
bands but not both, meaning you can't get a model that will work well in
Canada _and_ China.

- Evan