[Fwd: Openmoko Neo Freerunner Group Order]

Robert P. J. Day rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 28 11:10:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I will probably wait for some Android-y phone in a half-year or so from now.
>
> Android, together with
> - the commitment of Palm to a Linux-based platform
> - the recent purchase of Symbian by Nokia (and the accompanying intent
> to open source Symbian's OS)
> - the defection of vendors such as HTC from Windows Mobile to Android
>
> ... seems to indicate that eventually almost every smartphone that isn't
> made in Canada will be running Linux. In this environment, I hope the
> OpenMoko platform won't get orphaned if Android and FOSSymbian become
> popular. As someone who bought an early Zaurus I don't want to make the
> same mistake twice.
>
> I also note that the OpenMoko is tri-band rather than quad-band. That
> will not affect coverage in North America, but it does impact its
> ability to be a truly world phone. You have a choice of the 850 or 900
> bands but not both, meaning you can't get a model that will work well in
> Canada _and_ China.

  and despite the fact that i too would love an openmoko, i'd like to
see a few more posts along these lines -- bypass the chirpy excitement
and discuss the pros and cons of this phone.  as evan points out, just
cuz something runs linux shouldn't automatically make its purchase a
no-brainer.

  are there any detailed writeups on this sort of thing online
anywhere?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.