Dedicated Servers + Scalable Web Architectures

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 23 19:02:13 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

First I will introduce myself. I'm a grad CS student who'll soon be
living in Toronto. I'm 28 years old and have been back and forth from
academia to the industry. I've been involved with Linux for some time
now, mostly system admin experience -- no kernel hacking or anything
like that....... yet? I'm very happy to see that there is what looks to
be an active Linux User community in Toronto and I'm looking forward to
meeting some of you soon.

I am looking into building a new "Web 2.0" web site which focuses on
user-contributed content. I have lots of ideas and after thinking about
this and discussing it for about a month, I think I can "do it properly"
when it comes to the actual building of the site.. eg. I have a wealth
of experience with Apache, MySQL, PHP etc. but I lack experience in the
large-scale/high-performance realm. I expect(hope?) the site to get
really popular, really quickly, and so I need to be prepared to handle
lots of hits and quick data retrieval.

That being said, I have real questions:

1. I'd like a *reliable* dedicated server to host the site. I'd prefer
one hosted in Toronto or Montreal for low trip response times, but
that's not crucial. I tried tophostingcenter but their service was
really bad (I can elaborate on that). I've now (temporarily) gone back
with ServerPronto because I had used it before.. it was affordable, very
reliable, and their customer service was just awesome. However, if I can
do as well with a local server I'd surely consider it.

2. I'd like a recommendation on an architecture or *good* book on this
subject, or even better pointer to scientific studies which compare
different architectures in practical experiments. I'm very familiar with
the Apache/MySQL/PHP setup so that is my current preference -- as long
as it can scale! I'd be happy using Tomcat/JSP/Servlets if it means it
means better scalability in the end. People have told me that Ruby on
Rails doesn't scale-- after playing with it a bit two years ago it
doesn't seem hard to believe, but it was still more of a superficial
investigation than anything else.

Ultimately, I'd like if people can give me recommendations based on
their experiences rather than suspicions, but I think any discussion
that come of this might be generally useful to us all.

Thanks for your time.

Marc

--
There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any
programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write