Dedicated Servers + Scalable Web Architectures

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 23 19:11:59 UTC 2008

You might want to look into Google's App Engine.  The premise is that
they want to bring "the cloud" to everyday developers.  The platform
currently supports only Python, but that's going to change over time,
I think.  You use it by creating a Python-based web app in their
container, and then give someone the URL.  Everything runs in Google's
data centers, with the claim that if you use the API correctly, you
should get free scaling to millions of users.  Using the service is
free up to a certain level of resource consumption.  Depending on what
your app does, they claim the free level of service will handle 5
million pages views/month.  At the moment, I don't think it's possible
to pay for more service, but they plan on allowing that in the future.
 The cost structure will be pennies per GB of transfer, "core-hours"
of processing, GB-months of storage, etc.  I think there was a claim
that 10 million page views/month (ie. twice the number of page views
supported by the free level) would be tens of dollars per year.

Ian