Rogers explains ‘shaping' policy

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 12 17:57:48 UTC 2008

Stephen wrote:
> Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>> Rogers owns a number of print and broadcast media outlets and has a
>> strategic relationship with Yahoo. They have every interest in
>> maintaining (and indeed enhancing) an asymmetric relationship between
>> "providers" and "consumers" of data. P2P -- even for
>> legitimately-copyable content -- blurs the distinction and scares the
>> crap out of them.
>>
> If we divided the amount of legally copyable data by the amount of
> copyrighted data distributed
> on P2P networks, I wonder how many decimal points we would need to go to
> before the answer
> does not round down to zero?

Stephen, you're the one who keeps making these assertions so the onus of
proof is upon you and so far, what you have written could have been
written by the PR department of Rogers or Bell. Even if what you say is
true, the ISP side of Rogers and Bell are supposed to be common
carriers. They are not supposed to care about what traffic passes over
their network, and they clearly don't judging by the amount of spam and
malware that they quite properly, deliver to me. I do not expect them to
filter spam, viruses, or anything. All I expect from Rogers, the ISP
that I use only because I dislike them less than I dislike Bell, is a
reliable connection and an IP address, that's it. I certainly do not
expect or want them to inspect traffic to me or leaving my computer to
make determinations about its copyright. There are adequate provisions
in law to deal with copyright violations without needing the ISPs to
start playing copyright police.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay