Rogers explains ‘shaping' policy

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 12 18:59:18 UTC 2008

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Stephen, you're the one who keeps making these assertions so the onus
> of proof is upon you and so far, what you have written could have been
> written by the PR department of Rogers or Bell. Even if what you say
> is true, the ISP side of Rogers and Bell are supposed to be common
> carriers. They are not supposed to care about what traffic passes over
> their network, and they clearly don't judging by the amount of spam
> and malware that they quite properly, deliver to me. I do not expect
> them to filter spam, viruses, or anything. All I expect from Rogers,
> the ISP that I use only because I dislike them less than I dislike
> Bell, is a reliable connection and an IP address, that's it. I
> certainly do not expect or want them to inspect traffic to me or
> leaving my computer to make determinations about its copyright. There
> are adequate provisions in law to deal with copyright violations
> without needing the ISPs to start playing copyright police.

If all Rogers is doing is making an asymmetrical partition of bandwidth,
so downloads have much more than uploads, that does not jeopardize their
common carrier status. This has nothing to do with analyzing the data
packets.

It does have as a side effect, unintended or intended, of really
impairing the performance of P2P data transfers. They may be very happy
about this.

But they do not have to throttle P2P to make performance bad. All that
is needed is to keep the upload pipe small.

Every time a provider on a P2P network adds a new file to their
directory, its existence gets propagated at a geometric rate. So when
you start downloading the new file, you may get full use of the
providers small upload pipe. Then another transfer starts, and you just
have 50%. A couple more and you are down to 25%. So it would appear, as
time goes on, that the traffic is being throttled.

In fact, the uploaders access ramp to the Internet is just getting
congested.

As for your belief that "there are adequate provisions in law to deal
with copyright violations" you may want to check on what the government
tabled today.

Stephen