Looking for someone with Cisco PIX experience

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 7 23:48:27 UTC 2008

Hello all,

First of all, I want to express my thanks to everyone who offered their
suggestions (and in one case, a quote featuring a "TLUG discount" :-) )

After doing some research we found that the particular model of PIX
being used is so old that the newest version of the PIX software won't
run on it... that always sounds a warning bell, when faced with the
prospect of sinking money (ie, support/service costs) into obsoleted
hardware.

In my own mind, this is compounded by the absolutely miserable
experience of calling Cisco on Tuesday ... more than an 90 minutes of my
time (and my client's money) wasted with ZERO resolution of any question
I had. They wouldn't even offer me the option of paying for
out-of-warranty coverage or refer me to a local consultant. Absolutely
100% useless -- I am extremely reluctant to spent any more money
supporting a vendor that would treat its customers so badly.

(If there are any Cisco partners reading this you are welcome to forward
these comments.)

Given that this is really a small office (less than 25 network-attached
devices _including_ the VPN) we are leaning towards dumping the PIX in
favour of a simpler device such as the Linksys RVS4000
<http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2315791&CatId=1409>.
Any suggestions of an alternate device (one that will support the
Microsoft VPN client as well as PPPoE) are welcomed.

(And yes -- I had considered a Linux-based firewall, I've done a few
using IPCop so I was comfortable with the concept. But that would have
been overkill for this site.)

- Evan