Looking for someone with Cisco PIX experience

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 8 03:43:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 07:48:27PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Given that this is really a small office (less than 25 network-attached
> devices _including_ the VPN) we are leaning towards dumping the PIX in
> favour of a simpler device such as the Linksys RVS4000
> <http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2315791&CatId=1409>.
> Any suggestions of an alternate device (one that will support the
> Microsoft VPN client as well as PPPoE) are welcomed.
>
> (And yes -- I had considered a Linux-based firewall, I've done a few
> using IPCop so I was comfortable with the concept. But that would have
> been overkill for this site.)

It might not be overkill.

Openswan ipsec + l2tpd works quite well with the windows VPN client.  It
doesn't take a particularly powerful PC to do the job of router for a
small office.  There is always options of running software like vyatta
or linux router project or such on a generic PC to do the job.

--
Len Sorensen