Acer blames Microsoft for Linux move - news - www.pcretailmag.com

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 7 23:48:24 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
>
> | http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29982/Acer-blames-Microsoft-for-Linux-move
>
> Interesting.  More meat is on vunet (linked from the above article).
>
> Acer could start by supporting Linux on their boxes even if shipped
> with MS Windows.  In a judicious way: at least some of their Atheros
> wireless cards are done in a way that confuses stock Linux drivers.
> They could fix their BIOSes to support Linux suspend etc.
>
> I've not heard that Linux can make a battery last longer than MS
> Windows.  Last I heard, Linux was trying to catch up (a lot of the
> work coming from Intel).

Actually, there was an article in the Linux Journal, a few years ago,
that showed precisely that.  The same situation occurred with OS/2 vs
Windows.  According to what I read many years ago, Windows makes poor
use of interupts etc., using loops instead.
> I'm surprised that they claim MS Windows costs 50GBP per unit.
> Perhaps that is after some post-Microsoft markups (which would only be
> reasonable, but it isn't stated).
>
> Their claim that Linux starts up in 15 seconds suggests that they are not
> using any PC distro that I've got.  That's perhaps what my Nokia N800
> takes.
>
> Blaming Microsoft seems odd.  Saying that MS Windows doesn't suit all
> their needs would be more correct.
>
> Perhaps this is posturing to get a better deal from Microsoft.

Or perhaps they, as a computer manufacturer, are getting fed up with MS,
particularly with so many purchasers trying to avoid Vista.
Read up on MS history for their strong arming of computer manufacturers,
going back many years.