Acer blames Microsoft for Linux move - news - www.pcretailmag.com

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 7 20:09:08 UTC 2008

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29982/Acer-blames-Microsoft-for-Linux-move

Interesting.  More meat is on vunet (linked from the above article).

Acer could start by supporting Linux on their boxes even if shipped
with MS Windows.  In a judicious way: at least some of their Atheros
wireless cards are done in a way that confuses stock Linux drivers.
They could fix their BIOSes to support Linux suspend etc.

I've not heard that Linux can make a battery last longer than MS
Windows.  Last I heard, Linux was trying to catch up (a lot of the
work coming from Intel).

I'm surprised that they claim MS Windows costs 50GBP per unit.
Perhaps that is after some post-Microsoft markups (which would only be
reasonable, but it isn't stated).

Their claim that Linux starts up in 15 seconds suggests that they are not
using any PC distro that I've got.  That's perhaps what my Nokia N800
takes.

Blaming Microsoft seems odd.  Saying that MS Windows doesn't suit all
their needs would be more correct.

Perhaps this is posturing to get a better deal from Microsoft.