Anyone job-seeking for a sysadmin position?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 29 16:26:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Neil Watson wrote:

> This really frustrates me.  You spend time preparing and going to
> interviews only to find out afterward, sometimes after more than one
> interview, that they are not willing to pay what you would like.  Why

I know some people are down on recruiters but I have always been very
happy when I use recruiters.  One advantage is that they typically have a
good idea of the salary range and will filter out jobs that don't meet my
expectations.  If a recruiter sends me to an interview then the employer
and I are already in the same ballpark when it comes to salary.

> waste everyone's time wasted in the first place?  I am almost certain
> that employers often do not advertise or tell you what they are willing
> to pay in hopes that you will low ball yourself thus saving them money.

I agree it happens but I've known a lot of employers to be smarter than
that.  It is quite a short-sighted position as a low-balled employee will
be very unhappy as soon as they realise what has happened and will
typically correct the situation by leaving for another position[1].
Losing staff costs the employer money.  So in my experience most employers
will not do this if they are actually keen on retaining the employee.

[1] It's much easier for the person to negotiate a reasonable salary with
a new employer than it is to negotiate with a current employer for a
massive jump in salary.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"