Holux M1000 & gpsd

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 26 17:53:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 09:35 -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Scott Allen wrote:
> > For Google Maps (and presumably Google Earth), enter N43 39.606 W079
> > 25.0513
> > Note the space after the first 2 digits to the left of the decimal point.
>
> That's really interesting, even with 11 satellites the location is still
> off. Will have to try starting in a location where I can get a more
> precise coordinate and start walking to see where things go wonky.

A couple of things.

Don't presume that the imagery in Google earth is perfectly aligned.
Their data is only as good as their sources (and rounding during however
many conversions from the original source).

Better reception and lower DOP values will be found away from structures
and tall vegetation.  Reception downtown in the concrete canyons is
really bad.  When you can see a lot of horizon you get the best
reception.  Like in the middle of a prairie or lake.  Funny thing is;
there's nothing there!  Nobody cares what is in exactly the middle of
nowhere!  :-)

For fun, check how your GPS location of LinuxCaffe aligns with my
placement of LinuxCaffe on OpenStreetMap.  http://openstreetmap.org/
then use the search box.

Best regards,
Richard