how to modify /etc/fstab ?

jing gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 21 18:00:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Good. At least it attempts to boot up. It brings me to read-only mode
> beacuse it can not mount another hard drive that is listed in
> /etc/fstab and does not exist on new computer (there is just one slot
> for HD connection on new computer)
>
> I can not modify /etc/fstab and disable booting another harddrive that
> was in older computer, because it is in read-only mode.

You've probably already tried this, but how about:
mount -o remount,rw /

as root user at a console after boot?  At the very least it should let
you start changing fstab.  The only time I've seen this not work is
when there are HD errors and somewhere along the way the hardware
refuses to allow writes even after the directive above.