how to modify /etc/fstab ?

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 22 03:44:28 UTC 2008

On 7/21/08, jing <gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Good. At least it attempts to boot up. It brings me to read-only mode
> > beacuse it can not mount another hard drive that is listed in
> > /etc/fstab and does not exist on new computer (there is just one slot
> > for HD connection on new computer)
> >
> > I can not modify /etc/fstab and disable booting another harddrive that
> > was in older computer, because it is in read-only mode.
>
> You've probably already tried this, but how about:
> mount -o remount,rw /

No. I mean yes, I did try after your advise. Thanks a lot. Thanks
really a lot for that simple advise.

Now I have another problem. I took HD from the older machine (Linux)
and put it in newer one. I can boot. I did even yum upgrade (this is
now become 5.2 CentOS). But I can not start X. Video card is on
motherboard. I have no idea what kind of video cheep it is. Looking to
log files did not give me a clue.

How can I at least have VGA mode? I dont want to use Windows ;) And I
have a lot of valuable data on my Linux HD... ;(

zb.