Not quite current CPU sources

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 8 17:20:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 03:44:08PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> I am looking for a Socket A (aka: Socket 462) AMD CPU chip / heat-sink
> /fan (i.e.: Athlon XP chips)... Who in the city sells these not-quite
> current CPU chips?

I think I have an XP 1700 or 1800 lying around somewhere (I run a
2400XP-M in my machine now).

> Bit of background, last month I bought an ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS (with an
> appropriate AM2 CPU / memory / etc), which was shipped defective as
> far as I was concerned, the MAC address for the built in network port
> was b5:52:17:C6:1f:00 (for those who don't know why this is defective,
> look up multicast MAC addresses). This meant this motherboard was
> TOTALLY useless for the one reason I got this motherboard (a diskless
> front end box for my MythTV system). I have grumbled loudly at ASUS,
> got an RMA number, and as I write the motherboard is in transit to
> ASUS to get fixed.

It looks to me like the driver didn't deal with it right,  It is well
known that certain nvidia chips have the MAC address stored in reverse.
Quite how the driver is supposed to know I am not sure, but it certainly
has worked on many boards so far and should hopefully be able to work on
that one too.  Perhaps you just needed a newer kernel.

--
Len Sorensen