Not quite current CPU sources

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 3 01:38:14 UTC 2008

On 7/2/08, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>
>
> | you can change the MAC address you know. Atleast on 3Com i have.
> | I think on most you can.
>
> Generally there is nowhere to put the configuring instructions early
> enough in a diskless system boot.

Exactly. The "easy" solution would of course be to stick a small HD or
flash memory device on the system, but why should I have to jump
through those sorts of hoops when the issue is a motherboard maker
that sells a product that does not meet standards. Basicly, I want
this system to be a small box sitting in my bedroom to act as a
display controller, allowing me to see what ever videos are stored on
my main livingroom MythTV server (keeping bedroom TV, knocking a few
$/mo. off cable TV bill, nobody can sanely claim I have pirated a
cable signal ... and it is a interesting project to do :-) ).

> The MAC address of an integrated interface might live in some place
> that can be flashed.  That would make sense to me -- it would reduce
> the parts count.  But ASUS support might not know that.

Very likely, but in my calls to the ASUS Linux support line (yes, ASUS
does have such a thing, dig around and you can find said extension),
the clerk answering the line seemed ... pleasant, but ... clueless ...

Colin McGregor