Keyboards

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 31 16:43:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:19:22AM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Just to add my own 2c.
>
> From what I remember the "exercise" is a lot better for your fingers
> than many of the cheaper, low-resistance keyboards. Old springy-style
> keys offered a more gradual resistance to typing, so that those who
> are used to them "bounce" their fingers off the keys. Many of the more
> modern keyboards, in comparison,  have low resistance. This means that
> your fingers have more impact at the end, similar to continuously
> driving them against a hard surface. Many people I've talked to find
> that the springy keyboards cause less wear-and-tear on one's digits
> because of this, and they still have a strong following in many circle
> (especially the old IBM "clickety-clack" ones). Plus it really sounds
> like you're getting a lot done when you go to town on those suckers
> *clicketyclicketyclickety* :-)

When I type I prefer to actually get stuff done rather than sounding
like I get stuff done.

I think there are many keyboards that are way too soft, but on the other
hand the old spring clonkers are way too hard.  There are ways to make a
good balance of the two, which to me as where keytronic is at and has
been for many many years.  I don't think they have changed anything in
the key mechanism for at least 15 years.

--
Len Sorensen