Keyboards

Thu Jan 31 15:03:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 09:18:39AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:12:47AM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> I currently own two buckling-spring keyboards, and IBM model M and a
>> Northgate OmniKey 101.  The OmniKey is currently in need of repair - the
>> C key works oddly, not registering for several keypresses and then
>> returning a swath of Cs at once.  The IBM is fine.
>>
>> The problem is that I'd really like to get a second, working
>> buckling-spring 'board for work, but I don't have time to try to fix my
>> OmniKey.  Does anyone on this list know where I could either get my
>> OmniKey repaired, or get a buckling-spring 'board in Toronto?  Thanks.
>
>Is a "buckling-spring" keyboard one of those stupidly noisy ones that
>give your fingers extra exercize when you use them?

Yes, those are the ones.  I resent the "stupidly", but I learned to type
on a manual typewriter, and I want to actually feel like something is
happening, rather than have to watch the screen the whole time.

>Man those things were annoying.  Slow down my typing a lot and ruing the
>whole point of having a quiet computer in the first place. :)

The squishy, inaccurate membrane keyboard that you use silently is the
cause of many errors to me, and who says I have a quiet computer?
--

yours,

William