alsamixer mystery functions

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 31 14:43:08 UTC 2008

You mentioned "Alsamixergui", so I assume you'er using an graphical
environment: kde, gnome, or other?

Nowadays I use kmix (with KDE, much nicer integration than alsamixer),
and before that I had good luck with "tkmixer" for simple level
control, etc. You might want to give one of those a try if alsamixer
is being a major pain.

On Jan 30, 2008 8:27 PM,  <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've been soliciting help on another list. They are taking a while getting
> back to me so I thought I'd run a couple of mysteries by you.
>
> "Under ALSA mixer you need the switches tab, which allows you to select
> which input you are recording from.  You turn up the levels under the
> recording tab, which has a master called capture."
>
> I have NO tabs in alsamixer or alsamixer gui. alsamixer is just a row of
> level bars. The only "tabs" is the use of the [Tab] button on the keyboard
> that only lets you select among [Playback], [Capture], and [All] which just
> shows you some or all of the level bars.
>
> Also, another user referred to 'Preferences' in the 'Edit' menu. I have no
> menus at all in alsamixer or alsamixergui.
>
> ?!?!
>
> Chris

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support