help

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 30 19:59:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 02:17:25PM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I can't shake the feeling that there is something fundamental that I am
> doing wrong here. Like, the balanced input at the back of the emu card will
> not accept an unbalanced line, or I have chosen the wrong 'Device' in
> Audacity, or you cannot send an unpowered signal to the 1/4 " IN on the emu
> (thought I've tried a powered signal and that did not work either), or the
> emu has no audio-to-digital conversion so I have to get an external ADC
> just to record. Something basic. Alsa sees the card, I can playback with
> the card - I just can't record...

Maybe the inputs are muted by default.

If you hit 'tab' in alsamixer, you should toggle between playback,
capture and all mode.  Maybe under capture you can select which input to
use as capture and unmute if necesary and such.  Hit 'spacebar' to
select an input as the current capture source.

My sb live (another emu10k1 based card) has inputs:
Front (I think this is whatever the card is currently outputting to the
       front speakers)
Surround (Probably what the rear speakers are getting)
Synth (Output of the midi synth engine if playing midi files)
Wave (Standard digital audio output from any normal application)
Line (Line in on back of card)
Line Livedrive (One of the line in ports on the livedrive that is
		attached)
Line2 LiveDrive 1 (The other line in on the livedrive)
CD (the connector on the card labeled CD for hooking up to the CD drive
    for analog CD sound)
Mic (Mic jack on back of card)
Video (Internal connector on card labeled video)
Phone (Internal connector on card labeled phone.  Yes it has a lot of
       internal connectors on the card)
IEC958 Coax (digital output on back of card (1/8" jack that can be
             adapted to coax digital)
IEC958 LiveDrive (digital coax on livedrive)
IEC958 TTL (not sure where this one is, it may be the same jack in a
            different mode)
Aux (internal connector on card labeled AUX)
Capture Mix (Mix of all selected capture sources combined)
Mix Mono (Same as above except merged to mono)

At least that is what I think they all are.  I don't use very many of
them myself.

You can get a list of all the controls this way:

amixer -c 1 controls

-c 1 means card 1 rather than the default card 0.

--
Len Sorensen