help

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 30 18:09:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 01:02:26PM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> From the BIOS:
>
> Compaq VGA controller IRQ 5
> Intel IDE controller  Enabled
> Intel USB controller IRQ 11
> Compaq Audio Device IRQ 10
> Compaq Ethernet controller IRQ 5
> Creative LAbs Audio Device IRQ 10
> Creative Labs 1394 controller IRQ 11
>
> It does seem like a lot of devices for three IRQs. Why do I have a 'VGA
> controller'? I think I have at least SVGA. Do I need 'Compaq Audio Device'?
> I'm assuming that that is the onboard card that I don't want to use.
> However, whenever I set it to 'Disable' that damn ubuntu goes and enables
> it whenever it likes. I'm assuming that the 'Creative Labs' device and
> controller comprise the EMU 1212m pci card that I do want to use.

VGA simply means a device that is VGA compatible, which is any video
card made in a very long time.  The fact it does more than VGA doesn't
mean it isn't VGA compatible.

The EMU1212m would show up as a creative labs device since it is based
on the emu10k1 used on a number of creative labs products.

The Creative Labs 1394 is probably a firewire port that is present on
the same card since some cards they made had firewire ports.  It must be
on the B interrupt line on the card then  It must be on the B interrupt
line on the card then.

If you disable the onboard audio (maybe there is an option for that,
disabling the IRQ is not how to disable the device.  You should not
override the BIOS's idea of the interrupts unless you know what you are
doing).

> Am I correct in all my thinking?
>
> I think I'm looking at an ubuntu re-install. These are great ideas, but my
> troubles now are deep and varied now.

I suspect there may be a bug in the 1.0.14rc alsa version ubuntu is
using (at least on the release you are using).  Maybe 1.0.15 would work.

You could even try moving the emu card to a different PCI slot which
would make it share with some other devices than it currently is, in
case you suspect it is an IRQ problem (which I currently doubt, but I
guess you never know without trying).

--
Len Sorensen