help

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 30 18:02:26 UTC 2008

Dave Germiquet writes:

> Hey Chris,
>
> I'm not sure if I'm out on a whim here, maybe someone else could say
> if im right or wrong but is it possible the irq's are conflicting?

 From the BIOS:

Compaq VGA controller IRQ 5
Intel IDE controller  Enabled
Intel USB controller IRQ 11
Compaq Audio Device IRQ 10
Compaq Ethernet controller IRQ 5
Creative LAbs Audio Device IRQ 10
Creative Labs 1394 controller IRQ 11

It does seem like a lot of devices for three IRQs. Why do I have a 'VGA
controller'? I think I have at least SVGA. Do I need 'Compaq Audio Device'?
I'm assuming that that is the onboard card that I don't want to use.
However, whenever I set it to 'Disable' that damn ubuntu goes and enables it
whenever it likes. I'm assuming that the 'Creative Labs' device and
controller comprise the EMU 1212m pci card that I do want to use.

Am I correct in all my thinking?

I think I'm looking at an ubuntu re-install. These are great ideas, but my
troubles now are deep and varied now.

Chris