State of Palm <-> Linux syncing

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 28 21:00:14 UTC 2008

Neil Watson wrote:
> What's the state of Palm and Linux syncing these days.  I've tried
> jpilot but the rhythm method of plugging in the device, starting jpilot,
> pressing the PDA sync and then jpilot's sync all at the right time is
> not reasonable to me.  I also tried kpilot but all syncs fail using
> that.  Is there no reliable method?

In my experience, you want to press sync on the Palm several seconds
before starting the desktop program, since a USB Palm (as just about any
recent one is) it doesn't start acting like a USB device until the Palm
sync program starts (even though the cable is already plugged in), and it
takes a few seconds for your Linux system to see that a new USB node
exists and create the /dev entries.  If your Linux sync program comes
along before that, the device doesn't exist yet and it will definitely
fail.  The Palm will stay in ready-to-start-syncing state for quite
awhile.

See also the lsusb command, the use of the ls command in /dev, maybe
look at and/or tail -f your system logfile (probably /var/log/messages),
and verify that your kernel does have USB Serial support enabled.

--
Anthony de Boer