Vista Home license now allows virtualization

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 25 21:31:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:49:40PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> [Notice that I'm top posting.  In this case I think it is logical.]
>
> Now that we've chewed over the legal aspects (important!), has anybody any
> experience or thoughts on the technical aspects of trying to run an
> OEM Windows Vista, with no installation medium, under some
> Linux-hosted virtualization system?

Well the restore disc might not work.

A number of systems do include a Vista Anytime Upgrade disc which it
turns out is actually a complete full install disc that will accept the
product key and install normally that way (without all the extras crap
some companies insist on inflicting on their customers).

The "upgrade" disc is also a place to find the recovery console that is
quite useful to have.  Unfortunately some systems don't include that
disc which really sucks.

Of course you could just get someone to make you a copy of a normal
vista install disk that you could then use with your install key.

--
Len Sorensen