ubuntu 7.10 won't boot

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 24 14:02:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 04:01:36PM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I can't boot my ubuntu 7.10 system.
>
> I'm getting this:
>
> Starting up...
> usplash: Setting mode 1280X1024 failed
> usplash: Setting mode 1152X864 failed
> usplash: Setting mode 1024X768 failed
> usplash: Using mode 800X600
> kinit: name_to_dev_t (/dev/md1) + md1(9,7)
> kinit: trying to resume from /dev/md1
> kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...
>
> Ubuntu 7.10 cpc tty1
>
> I don't know if my (brand-new) hard drive is crashing or what. I went into
> the BIOS to see if there was any IRQ conflict with my emu1212m pci card (I
> haven't been able to initialize it under alsa) - I made a change and
> rebooted and got the above. So, I went innto the BIOS and restored default
> settings. I'm still getting the above error. At the prompt I logged in as
> root and tried to run init 5 - that did nothing - same for init 3. init 1
> got me to another screen but I don't know what to do in init 1 anyway.
>
> Any ideas? I'm emailing this through webmail on another machine. i guess
> you can tell from the above that I have set up RAID not that I would know
> how to restore from RAID but I thought the point of RAID is that if a hard
> drive goes the other will take over.

Did you change the controller settings in the BIOS?  That could make
Linux unable to see your HD which would make booting fail.

Maybe you should try loading the default settings in the BIOS and see if
that solves anything.

And your emu1212m problems are not IRQ related, they are caused by the
driver for some unknown reason not being able to find the firmware file
that is clearly on the disk (so it must be looking somewhere else).

I suppose it is possible whatever hte problem is was fixed in alsa
1.0.15, but I am not sure.  Didn't you have all this working under
fedora before?  If you did what version of alsa was that?

--
Len Sorensen