ubuntu 7.10 won't boot

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 23 22:26:45 UTC 2008

Chris Gow writes:

<snip>

>> Any ideas? I'm emailing this through webmail on another machine. i guess
>> you can tell from the above that I have set up RAID not that I would know
>> how to restore from RAID but I thought the point of RAID is that if a hard
>> drive goes the other will take over.

Sorry, I missed a couple of your suggestions.

> So you can log in as root,

Yes.  can you also log in as normal user?

Yes.
> What happens if
> you run startx? Does your X start up then?

Yes, it did (after logging on as chris). When X came up there was err:

The panel encountered a problem loading 'OAFIID: GNOME -
FastUserSwitchApplet' Do you want to delete this from your configuration?

I hit 'Delete'. I tried umounting the ubuntu CD and I got a message that I
don't have sufficient privileges. I also tried to shut down and see that
there is no Shut Dwon option - only the others: Switch user, Suspend, Lock
Screen, Log Out and Hibernate.

<snip>