Apologies for html message

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 19 07:06:00 UTC 2008

John McGregor wrote:
> Sorry folks, I just upgraded to Mepis 7 and it didn't occur to me
> that this new version of Thunderbird would send in HTML by default.
> It won't happen again.

No problem, really.

OTOH, what is actually annoying is that every time you reply to a
thread, your reply starts a new thread (is posted outside the original
thread). I guess you don't thread TLUG messages and therefore don't
realize this is happening. We both use Tbird but somehow with different
results.

This reply from me will thread correctly. Notice the subject line above:
      "Re: [TLUG]: Apologies for html message"
The result will be a post threaded below your "Apologies" email.

Tbird made that happen without any fiddling on my part. All I do is:
display the post I want to reply to ->- hit "Reply" ->- edit the
original message ->- bottom post what I have to say ->- and hit "Send".

Pretty simple, really. Tbird does all the heavy lifting.

Now look at the subject line of your reply to Paul King's recent post:
      "[TLUG]: re:OT (Windows): SD Card reader on Gateway Laptop"
(Notice the position of your "re:" versus my "Re:") The result was a
new thread. That happened because you munged the subject line.

Please stop adding "re:" to the subject when you reply. It is not
necessary and causes problems for those (most of us) who have
threading turned on so that conversations on a given topic are
separated and thus easier to follow. You may also find it
advantageous to turn on threading in your client.

Thanks.