Apologies for html message

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 19 15:30:21 UTC 2008

George Nicol wrote:
> OTOH, what is actually annoying is that every time you reply to a
> thread, your reply starts a new thread (is posted outside the original
> thread). I guess you don't thread TLUG messages and therefore don't
> realize this is happening. We both use Tbird but somehow with different
> results.
>
> This reply from me will thread correctly. Notice the subject line above:
>      "Re: [TLUG]: Apologies for html message"
> The result will be a post threaded below your "Apologies" email.
>
> Tbird made that happen without any fiddling on my part. All I do is:
> display the post I want to reply to ->- hit "Reply" ->- edit the
> original message ->- bottom post what I have to say ->- and hit "Send".
>
> Pretty simple, really. Tbird does all the heavy lifting.
>
> Now look at the subject line of your reply to Paul King's recent post:
>      "[TLUG]: re:OT (Windows): SD Card reader on Gateway Laptop"
> (Notice the position of your "re:" versus my "Re:") The result was a
> new thread. That happened because you munged the subject line.
>
> Please stop adding "re:" to the subject when you reply. It is not
> necessary and causes problems for those (most of us) who have
> threading turned on so that conversations on a given topic are
> separated and thus easier to follow. You may also find it
> advantageous to turn on threading in your client.

I didn't realize that I was causing a problem for some and I will
change. What would help future subscribers (and those of us who need a
refresher) to the list would be for the posting guidelines to be posted
on the GTALug wiki. I just checked and there is nothing there ( not even
the long standing requirement for plain text replies) other than the
address where to sign up.

John