OT: WPA2 PSK reasonable Key Length

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 15 20:47:55 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 7:56 PM, Ivan Avery Frey <ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> When configuring a WPA2 wireless network at home what would be a
> reasonable key length in ASCII characters? I'm using AES encryption.

An argument may be made for "none at all."

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html

Thinking that you will magically get impenetrable security via this
particular security mechanism seems flawed, particularly as there have
been many, many poorly implemented versions.

If applications that need to be secure implement encryption on THEIR
borders, that tends to provide better security.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling