OT: WPA2 PSK reasonable Key Length

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 15 21:27:47 UTC 2008

On January 15, 2008 03:47:55 pm Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 7:56 PM, Ivan Avery Frey <ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> > When configuring a WPA2 wireless network at home what would be a
> > reasonable key length in ASCII characters? I'm using AES
> > encryption.
>
> An argument may be made for "none at all."
>
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/01/my_open_wireles.html
>
> Thinking that you will magically get impenetrable security via this
> particular security mechanism seems flawed, particularly as there
> have been many, many poorly implemented versions.

I run open wireless at home for those reasons Schneier notes. With
dd-wrt wireless and wired connections are easily isolated from each
other as well.

If you really want to run WPA2, choose something strong, 20+ characters
that has a mix of alpha-numerics and some characters thrown in as well.
WPA2 is easier to crack than WEP if you have a good dictionary and/or a
bad passphrase.

Jamon