Error correction with aes-looback / cryptoloop?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 27 04:02:14 UTC 2008

How about TrueCrypt?

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php

I haven't really had time to do much more than play with it (I
should), but my understanding is that you can mount encrypted volumes,
and even have something like a dummy volume inside: so somebody may
*think* they have your private into, but it's really just a
distraction.

Not sure if it suits your needs, but it's open-source, cross-platform,
and fairy mature.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:49 PM, Mike Oliver <moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have a laptop on which I would like to put my
>  $HOME directory on an encrypted partition, in case
>  someone were to steal it in an airport or something.
>  I've been experimenting with using an encrypted
>  loop device using the cryptoloop module and AES128
>  encryption.
>
>  It seems to work fine, but I'm not so happy about the
>  thought that a one-bit HDD error could make me lose the
>  entire partition.  I was wondering if anyone knows whether
>  any of the available encryption options use error
>  correction, so as to greatly mitigate this possibility?
>  I would happily accept a 10% file size increase for
>  this purpose.
>
>  --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942