Dovecot not honouring /etc/aliases

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 25 22:15:30 UTC 2008

Email are distributed by postfix and not by Dovecot. Therefore, the aliases are for postfix and not for Dovecot.

Try running
     postmap <alias file>
to compile the aliases text file into the alias database that postfix can read. You might (though I doubt) need to reload postfix as well.

EK

William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote: I am using a Postfix/Dovecot setup on Debian stable, and it works just
fine for regular virtual users, but I am finding that mail for root and
postmaster, which should go to a specified address, is instead getting
delivered to the virtual root user.

It appears that Postfix is handing everything to Dovecot, and Dovecot
sees root at localdomain and delivers it to /home/vmail/localdomain/root
rather than the user at localdomain that I specified in /etc/aliases.

I have been sure to run newaliases, and restart the relevant services,
but it is still not working.  Any tips?

Thanks.
--

yours,