Ubuntu 7.10 and COmpiz

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 25 20:22:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:32:26PM -0500, Jose wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have upgraded my home computer from 7.04 to 7.10, and everything
> worked ok, I wanted to try the compiz thing, and I uploaded the
> packages, including the core, manager, plugins. I also configured my ATI
> Radeon x1600 crad with the latest driver from ATI, and the screen
> manager shows
> me that my graphic card is fglrx, I had to disabled thie driver from the
> black list file, but I can't turn on the special effects, it keeps
> telling me that it can't enable them, not even the basic ones, I can see
> the compiz manager configured already but it's not working.
>
> Not sure if the ATI drives are properly configured, as I still see MESA
> when I run the fglxinfo program.
>
> Any advice would be welcome

The ATI drivers don't support GLX and Composition at the same time.  You
get one or the other but not both.  People have complained about this
for years, but hey you are dealing with ATI and software just isn't
something they have ever done well.  Neither is customer service.

Works fine on nvidia drivers of course.

Maybe someday ATI will fix this stupidity in their drivers, but given
how many years it has been so far, I don't have much hope.  I just won't
buy ATI hardware.  I don't really bother even checking on their state
anymore.

--
Len Sorensen