Needed; A few good ... hal-device dumps. :)

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 23 00:31:31 UTC 2008

Hi all,

   I am working on the DB schema for my backup program... Specifically,
the part on device detection and recognition. This is where I am hoping
I can ask TLUG to help me out.

   What I need is a collection of dumps from HAL. Specially if you have
odd/fancy hardware like tape drives, SAN, iSCSI, fiberchannel or other
such esoteric hardware attached to your system.

   To create the dump file, just run:

$ hal-device > yourname_hal-device-dump.txt

   Of course, make the name whatever you want, I just needed an example.
If you could then email me a copy of the output file off the list, I
would be very much appreciative!

   If you are security concerned (as we all are), all I care about are
URIs related to block devices. Also, delete any hardware serial
numbers... they won't matter to me (but do please leave the line intact
so I can see what it looks like).

Thanks for your help!!

Madison

TLE-BU: http://tle-bu.org

PS: If you'd prefer, I've got a place started on the project website's
wiki for storing sample files. It's here:
http://wiki.tle-bu.org/index.php/Hal-device_samples