NFS server - /proc/net/rpc/nfsd

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 19 20:14:20 UTC 2008

Hi
Here are some tips you could use to improve overall performance:

16 is a good number to start with. Increasing the number of threads for
non-Solaris OS can create performance issues as memory is allocated upfront
and threads are activated on every request.

Run nfsstat -rc on the client. The value under TimeOuts should be small
indicating a healthy network.  Ensure that both server and clients are
running the current NFS version 3 or 4. Can also force server and clients to
use TCP like so:
mount -o proto=tcp server:/export    /nfs

 Using the mount command, the read and write blocks can be increased to 32k
for better performance

Some recommended values for improving NFS performance:

MTU size increase to 4000-9000 bytes
NFS block size 8KBytes
Increasing hard disk speed by using hdparm

Hope this is helpful.
Asaf

On Feb 19, 2008 1:02 PM, Rob Sutherland <sutherland_rob-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to nail down an NFS problem that seems to
> be related to load and one of the recommendations in
> the NFS Howto is to increase the number of NFS server
> instances, which are currently at the default, 8.
> Anyone have a rule of thumb for the number of
> instances?
>
> The Howto also recommends looking at the statistics in
> the /proc/net/rpc/nfsd file. I'm not really sure how
> to interperet these numbers, can anyone point me to an
> explanation?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
>

> Rob Sutherland
>
> 'I is Popeye O'Borg.
>  Yez will be askimigulated'

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much
more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be
wrong." - Richard P. Feynman