OT: Buying Stock

Alex Maynard maynarda-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 16 16:15:53 UTC 2008

Here's one more link I forgot to mention:

http://www.efficientmarket.ca/

It seems to have some fairly reasonable suggestions on investment
strategies, although I haven't looked at them in too close detail.

Certain broad based Exchange traded funds (ETFs) that track broad indexes
for Canada, US, or most of the world, can provide you a cheap and easy way to buy into
the market as a whole. This does not protect against the risk that the
market as a whole could fall, but it does protect you against the risk
that a particular company or sector crashes. This is referred to as
diversification, roughly translated to" don't put all your eggs in one
basket". I found morningstar.com useful for sorting through the various
ETFs.

If you are concerned about when to buy in, one strategy sometimes
advocated is dollar cost averaging, whereby you buy in a little at a time.
However, trading fees are often charged on a per-trade basis, so if you
buy in too small quantities your trading fees will be higher on a percentage basis.

Alex