OT: Buying Stock

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 16 01:08:55 UTC 2008

Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
> I want to buy some stocks. I've never bought stocks before. I have an
> RRSP and I eventually want to move that money into a self-directed RRSP
> (if that's what it's called when you create your own RRSP). I'm taking a
> Business Mathematics course at a local college (I know, I know, 90% of
> investing is guts, timing, luck etc. - it's the other 5% I'm taking the
> math for). For now, though, I thought I'd try buying some blue-chip
> stock. It's a small amount so I don't want to lose a lot in brokerage fees.
>
> Does anyone know a good discount broker? Any gotchas? I've never used
> PayPal or any other online payment method. I've only ever bought
> anything "off the Internet" by calling a 1-800 number (from a website)
> then using my credit card over the phone.

Do you have a bank account?

Whoever you bank with is a good starting place since they have some
record that you exist.

The market is down, and you are, I assume, young, so buying stocks makes
sense.

How much is in your RRSP? Buying individual stocks when you have less
that $20,000 (bare minimum) is not wise.

If less than 20,000 consider a stock market index mutual fund from your
bank.

Google is your friend.

Stephen