Wireless nightmare - ipw2200

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 12 02:56:46 UTC 2008

Jamon
Thanks for quick response!
> > [root at kerberos kihara]# dmesg | grep eth1
> > eth1: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xf8a86000, 00:0f:b0:9a:5c:47, IRQ 23
> > eth1:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
>
> eth1 must not be your wireless device as the ipw220 chipset is just
> that, the ipw2200 chipset and not realtek (which looks like your ethernet).
>
> What does eth0 show up as?

[root at kerberos kihara]# dmesg | grep eth0
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
eth0: no IPv6 routers present

 I agree, the dmesg output for eth1 don't make sense. I have run that
command again and generated the same result, and yes, thats my eth0.
Now, where could that interference be coming from?

> > The issue seem to be this line 'ipw2200: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is On:'
> > I am at a loss how to fix it. I have looked at the bios and they don't
> > have anything that could help. I have a feeling re-installing might
> > not help also. See, I have tried using live ubuntu and hit the same
> > snag, the kill switch. What am I missing? Would there be someone here
> > who have came across this problem and has a fix? I would be very
> > grateful for any help.
>
> Do you have version 3.0 of the firmware in /lib/firmware?
> http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=7 If you've upgraded
> from Fedora 5 or 6, it may be that the firmware is out of date and you
> need the newest version 3.0.
[root at kerberos kihara]# rpm -qa | grep ipw2200
ipw2200-firmware-3.0-9

Though I have been upgrading, the firmware was a recent installation.
Remember before just recently, I never cared about wireless.

> Regards,
> Jamon

William