help

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 11 14:46:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 09:18:43PM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I can't even shutdown the computer. I did Ctrl+Alt+F3 to get a terminal or
> terminal mode or whatever it's called. I can't log in as root though
> because I don't know the password. I don't know the password because the
> ubuntu 7.10 installer never offered the chance to create a root password
> (seems insane ot me). And no, I'm not mistaken - I've installed u7.10 four
> times now on two machines and each time it gives me a headache about root
> password. So, how do I create a root password?

Log in as yourself, then do:
sudo bash
passwd

That will set a root password.

> I should go back to fedora. I only switched because I was convinced that
> boys use fedora and men use debian distros like ubuntu (or, of course,
> debian). So, I switched to debian - feeling proud of the leap of faith and
> was promptly informed that "ubuntu is not debian". I've had nothing but
> trouble with ubuntu.

You will probably have more trouble with fedora.  I have no idea what
their community is like for support, but you can try that if you want.

> Very frustrating. I bought a semi-pro card (emu1212m) in the summer so I
> could record some of my music. I have not recorded one note yet. I can't
> even pay anyone to help me with this. There's no one in Timmins that can do
> this stuff.
>
> I'm just trashing my system over and ocer and over. And I have really bad
> luck with timing. People on this list are very helpful. But when they are
> unavailable I have the choice to either wait or try stuff myself. For
> instance, David, you gave me some great ideas to try. Your very first idea
> however did not work for me. So, if I have to wait a day to hear why your
> first idea didn't work and what I should do about it I've lost a day. Four
> ideas would be four days. So, instead I try other things - which has
> probably already now led me to the brink of another OS re-install.

Well thrashing the system comes from barging ahead without waiting to
see if someone can answer the question you have.

--
Len Sorensen