help

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 11 14:43:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 08:52:33PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> >> then run "sudo apt-get update"
> I guess doing all these apt-get updates with malformed lines in
> /etc/apt/sources.list has screwed up a bunch of stuff in my system. Now
> my terminal won't come up. I'm getting 'Could not launch application.
> Failed to execute child process "gnome-terminal" (no such file or
> directory)'. My entire 'Sound & Video' (or whatever it's called) menu is
> gone from the 'Applications' menu!! I think this is where you guys get
> scarce again.

That's because a directory with packages is not a valid repository.  It
needs a Packages.gz to be a valid repository.  It doesn't work that way.

The simplest way to make everything work would actually be to simply
change the system to the newer version of ubuntu, which means changing
gutsy to hoardy (or whatever it is called) in /etc/apt/sources.list and
then doing apt-get dist-upgrade (well after putting back the packages
you removed that shouldn't have been removed).

--
Len Sorensen