Question on ussing ssh-add outside of Xwindows? Is it possible?

Alex Maynard maynarda-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 7 23:27:03 UTC 2008

Hello All,

I normally use ssh-add in combination with a private/public key.
Recently I had some problems (freezing) with xwindows on one old laptop.
Since I'm  only using this laptop to backup my data I removed gdm and am
running it without X.  However, once I'm out of Xwindows, ssh-add no longer works.
When I type ssh-add outside Xwindows, I get the following error:
"couldn't not open a connection to your authentication agent".

I'm just wondering if you know whether there is anything simple I could do
to fix this or whether I really need to be in X when running ssh-add?

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Alex