Question on ussing ssh-add outside of Xwindows? Is it possible?

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 7 23:30:43 UTC 2008

Alex Maynard wrote:
> I'm just wondering if you know whether there is anything simple I could do
> to fix this or whether I really need to be in X when running ssh-add?

X itself has nothing to do with it, but look at the ssh-agent manpage.
You have to have an agent running, preferably as parent of the shell
you're using, or you have to copy a bunch of environment variables
around.  Ssh-add registers keys with the ssh-agent, and then the ssh or
scp commands talk to the agent process to get credentials when you want
to access a remote host.

--
Anthony de Boer