iBook parts available

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 15:37:17 UTC 2008

Giles Orr wrote:
> Hi Madison.
>
> Someone has claimed some of the parts ... I had to look it up, but I'm
> guessing you want the display?  He didn't ask for that, so it's yours.
>  I've never seen you at GTALUG or UU, and I seem to recall you live
> out in the western boondocks (pardon my Toronto-centricism ...) so ...
> how do we get this to you?

I work right downtown (25 Victoria St; Yonge and King area). Are you out
this way at all?

> I have also asked the other person: are you sure you don't want any of
> the other parts?  You're not just being polite?  I'd like to get rid
> of all of it, and the less people I have to deliver to the better.  I
> forgot to mention in the posting, I also have the outer casing which
> might be useful if yours is cracked.  The power supply and battery
> have been claimed.

I can take whatever is left. I make periodic trips to a friend's shop
whenever I get a big enough pile of old/miscellany tech (he resells or
recycles everything; keeps it out of landfill).

> I used http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G3-12-Inch/50/ to
> disassemble.  I was careful doing the disassembly so all the parts are
> in very good health ... but I wasn't careful about tracking the order
> and placement of screws so I couldn't put it back together again.  Be
> warned, the display is probably the most difficult piece to replace.
> Not hideous, but it will take you about an hour to get it apart, and
> another hour to re-assemble.  Possibly more, because unlike me you'll
> need to carefully track your parts so they can go back together ...

I've already torn apart and rebuilt a few iBooks, so I am not too
worried. Though I am always happy to get my hands on spare screws for
the darn things!

:)

Madi