iBook parts available

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 15:24:58 UTC 2008

Hi Madison.

Someone has claimed some of the parts ... I had to look it up, but I'm
guessing you want the display?  He didn't ask for that, so it's yours.
 I've never seen you at GTALUG or UU, and I seem to recall you live
out in the western boondocks (pardon my Toronto-centricism ...) so ...
how do we get this to you?

I have also asked the other person: are you sure you don't want any of
the other parts?  You're not just being polite?  I'd like to get rid
of all of it, and the less people I have to deliver to the better.  I
forgot to mention in the posting, I also have the outer casing which
might be useful if yours is cracked.  The power supply and battery
have been claimed.

I used http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G3-12-Inch/50/ to
disassemble.  I was careful doing the disassembly so all the parts are
in very good health ... but I wasn't careful about tracking the order
and placement of screws so I couldn't put it back together again.  Be
warned, the display is probably the most difficult piece to replace.
Not hideous, but it will take you about an hour to get it apart, and
another hour to re-assemble.  Possibly more, because unlike me you'll
need to carefully track your parts so they can go back together ...

On Feb 5, 2008 10:13 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Giles Orr wrote:
> > A friend had an old iBook die on her recently (the onboard video chip
> > evidently went).  I was commissioned to wipe the HD, and I got the
> > corpse.  I have bits, if anyone is interested.  This is a 2002 12"
> > iBook.
> >
> > Power supply - grubby but works fine.
> > Display - grubby, should be cleanable, not absolutely sure it works,
> > but we're pretty sure it was the video card not the display that went.
> > modem
> > airport card (can I use that with Linux? would I want to?)
> > battery - condition unknown, the former owner used it almost exclusively on AC.
> > CD-ROM drive
> > keyboard
> >
> > I'm keeping the HD, the SODIMM is already spoken for, and I may keep
> > the Airport card if it's workable with Linux.  All other parts are up
> > for grabs to the first person who requests them.  Will anyone want
> > them at all?
> >

> I would love this, I have a 12" ibook with a dead CCFL! :)
>
> Madi

Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org