w2k/u7.10 dual-boot

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 14:17:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:38:04PM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Okay, I did the whole W2K installation again. Made sure the installation
> was working okay (installed Ethernet Controller driver, configured Internet
> connection, printing auto-configured). Then I did the ubuntu 7.10
> installation again. This time I made sure that / and /home partitions were
> NOT bootable. So, again I chose okay to have GRUB installed to the MBR.
> Again I got the error trying to boot up W2K:
>
> ***STOP: [a bunch of what look like memory addresses]
> INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE [then some microsoft wisdom]
>
> I guess this is W2K's blue-screen'o'death.

Inaccessible boot device can actually be caused by corrupt filesystem in
windows, which can usually be fixed by booting from the windows install
cd, selecting repair, going to the repair console and running chkdsk on
c: (possibly with an option to force a check).  Run it at least twice to
be sure it has repaired everything.  Preferably enough times that on the
last time it reports no errors found.

> I know your instructions work for linux/windows dual-boots, but have you
> ever specifically done a W2K/ubuntu dual-boot? This may be a gotcha.

I have done win2k debian dual boot.  It was amazingly simple.  It just
worked.  That was with NTFS for win2k though.

--
Len Sorensen