w2k/u7.10 dual-boot

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 01:38:04 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen writes:

<snip>

> And do NOT set the linux partition bootable.  Windows would likely hate
> you for that.  Just leave the windows partition bootable and let grub in
> the MBR do booting properly (it doesn't care about bootable flags).

Okay, I did the whole W2K installation again. Made sure the installation was
working okay (installed Ethernet Controller driver, configured Internet
connection, printing auto-configured). Then I did the ubuntu 7.10
installation again. This time I made sure that / and /home partitions were
NOT bootable. So, again I chose okay to have GRUB installed to the MBR.
Again I got the error trying to boot up W2K:

***STOP: [a bunch of what look like memory addresses]
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE [then some microsoft wisdom]

I guess this is W2K's blue-screen'o'death.

I know your instructions work for linux/windows dual-boots, but have you
ever specifically done a W2K/ubuntu dual-boot? This may be a gotcha.

Of course I did all this on another hard drive so we can rule out hardware -
I also used another hard drive so I have the good W2K installation (with
emu1212m, cubase, an Ethernet Controller driver which kept me up 'til 4am to
find, Internet connection, printing all working) on another hard drive.

Chris