help

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 2 23:33:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:11:36PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 06:43:45AM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
>>
>>> I guess I can't install that with apt-get...
>>
>> Well one method would be to just get the .deb packages from somewhere
>> that has them such as ubuntu hardy.
>>
>> You can get the .deb's and install them with dpkg -i blah.deb ...
>>
>> You can find them here:
>> http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-driver/
>>
> Why is there never any one around when I'm doin the really scary stuff. Oh,
> well, here's trashin' my system...

because Lennart must be busy ;-)

Chris I think you are (dare I say it) going about it in a Windoze way.
You should be able to find any of the basic stuff (like alsa) in your
listed source repositories and install what you need via apt-get (or
synaptic) Unless you know what your doing (which you will, eventually)
hunting down .debs and running dpkg, is not the best way, and will leave
your system out of sync and hard to maintian. If it's not in your source
repositories, then far better to add needed repositories to
/etc/apt/sources.list . then run "sudo apt-get update" then run "apt-get
upgrade" then run "apt-get install foo" . You may well be able to get what
you need by enabling source repositories already in your existing sources.list
file, by "uncommenting" lines (remove leading "#" in the file, oh, while
your in there, you should ADD a "#" to the beginning of the line that
references the CDrom, telling apt-get not to look for sources on the CD)

Package management is a beautiful thing. It's what makes a linux system a
dream (or a nightmare) to maintain. Go with it, not against it.

djp