help

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 3 00:22:01 UTC 2008

David J Patrick wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:11:36PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:

>>> Well one method would be to just get the .deb packages from somewhere
>>> that has them such as ubuntu hardy.
>>>
>>> You can get the .deb's and install them with dpkg -i blah.deb ...
>>>
>>> You can find them here:
>>> http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-driver/
>>>

>> Why is there never any one around when I'm doin the really scary stuff. Oh,
>> well, here's trashin' my system...
>>

> because Lennart must be busy ;-)
>
> Chris I think you are (dare I say it) going about it in a Windoze way.

You may.

> You should be able to find any of the basic stuff (like alsa) in your
> listed source repositories and install what you need via apt-get (or
> synaptic) Unless you know what your doing (which you will, eventually)
> hunting down .debs and running dpkg, is not the best way, and will leave
> your system out of sync and hard to maintian. If it's not in your source
> repositories, then far better to add needed repositories to
> /etc/apt/sources.list.
Okay, I added the sites Lennart gave me (though he didn't mention adding
them to /etc/apt/sources.list - he wanted me to do this with dpkg) as
such (I left in the spaces that I inadvertently added because I don't
know how to key in stuff properly in vi:

#
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.1)]/
gutsy main restricted

#deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.1)]/
gutsy main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-driver/
deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-lib/

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-utils/

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-plugins/

deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted
deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted

I added 'deb' in front of each repository after apt-get complained about
one of those lines.

>  then run "sudo apt-get update"
That gave me this output:

chris at cpc:~$ sudo apt-get update
E: Malformed line 9 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist)

Maybe one of those 'deb' should be 'deb-src'...

I didn't do what follows of course as the above didn't work (though I
did comment out the CD line).

> then run "apt-get
> upgrade" then run "apt-get install foo" . You may well be able to get what
> you need by enabling source repositories already in your existing sources.list
> file, by "uncommenting" lines (remove leading "#" in the file, oh, while
> your in there, you should ADD a "#" to the beginning of the line that
> references the CDrom, telling apt-get not to look for sources on the CD)
>
> Package management is a beautiful thing. It's what makes a linux system a
> dream (or a nightmare) to maintain. Go with it, not against it.

Okay.

Chris