ubuntu 7.10 install

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 1 19:31:08 UTC 2008

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I'm going to re-install ubuntu. I've so thoroughly pooched my system
> that a re-install is needed. For instance I can't even get into the
> system as regular user. The worst is having to use webmail (instead of
> thunderbird) for troubleshooting help.
> Before I get started I thought I'd clear up something. When configuring
> IP address should I choose dhcp, static or what? I have cable Internet
> access. I just want to make sure that other computers in our home will
> be able to print across the network to the printer attached to this
> machine. Also, I use scp across the network for backups. I've made this
> more complicated in the past than it should be so I thought I'd ask
> before I do this. I've cosen dhcp in the past thiking that means I'm
> saying yes to my isp assigning me an ip address via dhcp. Apparently
> that is not how it works. THe isp only gives an ip address to my router
> and then the router gives me a local address? If so, what do I answer
> when asked about things-network while installing ubuntu?
> I'm not really looking forward to this - the biggest thing is setting up
> raid again - looks like I did it okay last time (my first time) but now
> I'm going to have to re-learn the concepts.
> Chris

The router uses DHCP to get an IP address from the cable ISP.

Each of the computers in turn will use DHCP to get an ip address from
the router.

Ubuntu is set up to use DHCP by default if I'm not mistaken.

There's another method called Link-Local Addressing which is part of
Zero Configuration Networking, but I don't know how simple this is to
install on Ubuntu or whether your router supports it.

To share the printer on the local network, make sure that CUPS is
broadcasting (or announcing) the printer on the local network.

As for backup networking check out this tutorial on file sharing with
ftp and zeroconf:

There are two ways of handling RAID:

1) Linux software RAID:

2) Installing on a system where RAID has been turned on in the BIOS.
(FakeRAID) used on systems where you may want to dual boot Linux and
Windows. Frowned upon in these parts:
http://wiki.eyermonkey.com/My_Ubuntu_%287.10%29_Installation#Installation_on_RAID_0